As an angel investor myself, may I offer the following tips when it comes to angel investment in Africa:
- Educate yourself professionally.
- Non-traditional investments like technology are still new areas of exploration.
- Don’t spend too much time analysing a deal as it will lead to indecision and you may miss out on fantastic prospects.
- There’s not much help from government for early stage ventures in Africa and most startups do not rely on them for support, so don’t let that deter you.
- When investing consider the long term and start with the end in mind.
- Whatever you do, don’t go it alone! Look for other local co-investors.
Building Africa is a team effort and angel investors are moving to the heart of the continent’s future alongside others in development.
If you have Africa in your heart, and the means to do so, invest in Africa now.